Mussels and Basil Bread Crumbs
- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed, cubed, and toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic (6 cloves)
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 9 sun-dried tomato halves in oil, drained and chopped
- 3/4 cup julienned fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3/4 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 3 pounds mussels, cleaned
Combine the toasted bread cubes, garlic, 1/4 cup of olive oil, and the lemon juice in a food processor and pulse a few times to make coarse crumbs. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper and pulse to combine. Add the pine nuts and pulse a few times to combine but not to chop the nuts. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the wine in a heavy-bottomed pot, such as Le Creuset, and bring to a boil. Add the mussels, cover, and cook over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, until the mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that don't open. Add the basil bread crumbs and toss gently. Serve hot in shallow bowls with any pan juices.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.