- 6 slices white bread, crusts removed, cubed, and toasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic (6 cloves)
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 9 sun-dried tomato halves in oil, drained and chopped
- 3/4 cup julienned fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 3/4 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio
- 3 pounds mussels, cleaned
Combine the toasted bread cubes, garlic, 1/4 cup of olive oil, and the lemon juice in a food processor and pulse a few times to make coarse crumbs. Add the sun-dried tomatoes, basil, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 3/4 teaspoon pepper and pulse to combine. Add the pine nuts and pulse a few times to combine but not to chop the nuts. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil and the wine in a heavy-bottomed pot, such as Le Creuset, and bring to a boil. Add the mussels, cover, and cook over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes, until the mussels have opened. Discard any mussels that don't open. Add the basil bread crumbs and toss gently. Serve hot in shallow bowls with any pan juices.