- 2 tablespoons good olive oil
- Shells from 1 pound large shrimp
- 2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
- 2 carrots, unpeeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup good white wine
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme, including stems
Warm the oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add the shrimp shells, onions, carrots, and celery and saute for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook 2 more minutes. Add 1 1/2 quarts of water, the white wine, tomato paste, salt, pepper, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Strain through a sieve, pressing the solids. You should have approximately 1 quart of stock. You can make up the difference with water or wine if you need to.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.