- 1 cup hard winter wheatberries
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup finely diced red onion (1 onion)
- 6 tablespoons good olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 scallions, minced, white and green parts
- 1/2 red bell pepper, small diced
- 1 carrot, small diced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Place the wheatberries and 3 cups of boiling salted water in a saucepan and cook, uncovered, over low heat for approximately 45 minutes, or until they are soft. Drain.
Saute the red onion in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-low heat until translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the remaining 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of olive oil and the balsamic vinegar.
In a large bowl, combine the warm wheatberries, sauteed onions, scallions, red bell pepper, carrot, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Allow the salad to sit for at least 30 minutes for the wheatberries to absorb the sauce. Season, to taste, and serve at room temperature.
Copyright 2002, Barefoot Contessa Family Style, All Rights Reserved