Chocolate Chicken Mole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chipotle pepper with 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can (or more to taste), chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (or 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and shredded (skin and bones discarded)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped peanuts, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1 orange, zested, for garnish
- Fresh cilantro, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced, for serving
- Flour tortillas, for serving
Place a pot over medium heat and coat with the oil. Add the onion and garlic, stirring to soften for 5 minutes. Add the chipotle with adobo, raisins, and tomatoes, stirring to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
Carefully pour the mixture into a blender. Add the peanut butter, broth, chili powder, and cinnamon. Puree the mixture until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Return the mixture to the pot over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Add the shredded chicken and heat through.
Transfer the mole to a serving dish and garnish with peanuts, sesame seeds, and orange zest. Serve with cilantro, lime, avocado, and tortillas.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.