- 5 cups water
- 1/4 pound string beans, ends snipped
- 1 medium shallot, halved and finely chopped
- 1 heaping tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for serving, optional
Place 5 cups of water to boil with salt, once the water has reached a rolling boil, remove from the heat and add the string beans to the water for about 5 minutes. Strain the string beans through a colander and run under cold water.
In a large bowl, whisk the shallots, mustard and vinegar together. Add the string beans and some salt and pepper and toss to combine. Serve chilled or at room temperature, drizzled with a little extra-virgin olive oil, if you like.