Cranberry BBQ Turkey Sandwich
- 1 pound sliced leftover turkey meat
- 1 cup Cranberry BBQ Sauce, recipe follows
- 4 hoagie rolls, buttered
- 4 thick slices fontina
- Fried Shallots, recipe follows
- Cranberry BBQ Sauce:
- Two 14-ounce cans cranberry sauce
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- Fried Shallots:
- 4 cups canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
Preheat the broiler.
Add the turkey and Cranberry BBQ Sauce to a large bowl and toss to coat. Pile the turkey on the rolls and top with the cheese. Place the sandwiches on a baking sheet and place under the broiler until the cheese melts and is bubbly. Top the sandwiches with the Fried Shallots and serve.Cranberry BBQ Sauce:
Add the cranberry sauce, juice, ground ginger, cinnamon and a pinch of salt to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook uncovered, stirring often to incorporate flavors, about 15 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and cool. Reserve 1 cup and store the rest for future use.
Combine the tomato puree, 1 cup of the cranberry sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire, mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and hot sauce in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer uncovered, stirring frequently until all ingredients are well incorporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Yield: 1 1/4 cups.Fried Shallots:
Heat the oil to 375 degrees F in a high-sided skillet or pan. Put the flour in a small bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the shallots to the bowl and toss to coat, shaking off any excess flour. Fry the shallots in batches until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the shallots to a paper-towel-lined-plate and sprinkle with salt.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.