Deconstructed Cannoli Chips and Dip
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 package (about 36) square wonton wrappers, cut diagonally in half
- 2 cups whole milk ricotta
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1/2 orange, zested
Fill a Dutch oven one-third full with oil and heat to 350 degrees F.
Fry the wontons in one layer, not overcrowding the pot. Flip the wontons once or twice until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the wontons with tongs or a slotted spoon and drain on a large wire rack set over a shallow pan. Repeat until all the wontons are fried.
Mix the ricotta, sugar and liqueur until well combined in a large bowl. Whip the cream in a separate bowl until soft peaks form, using a hand mixer. Fold the whipped cream and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips gently into the ricotta mixture.
Add the ricotta-cream mixture to a medium dip bowl or 8-by-8-inch baking dish and spread evenly. Starting from the left side of bowl, make a row, from top to bottom, of pistachios, followed by a row of the remaining 1/2 cup chocolate chips, then the cherries. Grate fresh orange zest over the bowl and plate the wonton chips on the side. Dust the chips with sugar and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Jeff Mauro