Sweet and Sour BBQ Chicken Sliders with Pickled Chinese Cabbage and Carrots
- BBQ Chicken:
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Pickled Chinese Cabbage and Carrots:
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 small head Chinese or napa cabbage, washed and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- Sweet and Hot Honey Mustard:
- 1/4 cup dried mustard powder
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Vegetable oil, for brushing grill
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Unsalted butter, for rolls
- 12 to 16 slider rolls, preferably King's Hawaiian
For the chicken: Mix together the hoisin, honey, soy, five-spice powder, crushed red pepper and sesame oil in a bowl. Pour half of marinade over the chicken in a plastic bag and marinate for 3 to 4 hours in the refrigerator, turning once halfway through. Reserve the remaining marinade.
For the pickled cabbage: Bring 1/2 cup water, the vinegar, sugar and salt to a boil until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the carrots, crushed red pepper and cabbage. Stir to combine and let sit for at least 30 minutes. Pour into a bowl and let cool completely.
For the mustard: Whisk together the mustard powder, water, honey, oils and salt in a bowl until smooth.
For cooking and assembly: Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium heat. Coat the grill with vegetable oil. Grill the chicken thighs until no longer pink in the middle and the internal temperature is 165 degrees F, 8 to 10 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes, and then chop, toss with the marinade and coat in the sesame seeds.
Butter and grill the buns on both sides until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Place ample quantities of glistening chicken on the bottom buns, then a drained handful of pickled cabbage and carrots, and top with hot mustard.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.