Tip: Cut beets and apples into thin slices; stack the slices directly on top of one another and cut them into matchstick-size strips or grate them using a v-slicer, mixer attachment or food processor.
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 pound beets, peeled
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, or similar flavored and textured apple
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse grain salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
In a medium sized salad bowl, using your microplane grater (or the smallest holes of a cheese grater) grate fresh ginger directly into bowl, about one teaspoon. Grate beets and apples, add them to the bowl with the ginger, and toss until ginger is evenly distributed. Add sherry vinegar, salt, and pepper to bowl and toss to coat evenly. Add olive oil, stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately or keep refrigerated.