- Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Smoked paprika, for serving, optional
- Vegetable crudite and pita chips, for serving
Put the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, cumin and garlic into a food processor and pulse until smooth. With the motor running, slowly pour in the oil in a steady stream. Add the salt and puree until very smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add some of the reserved chickpea liquid, 2 tablespoons at a time, until the desired consistency is reached.
To serve, transfer the hummus to a serving bowl and drizzle some olive oil over the top. Garnish with a sprinkling of smoked paprika if using, and serve with vegetables and pita chips for dipping.
Store leftover hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Adapted from "The Comfort Table" by Katie Lee. Copyright Simon Spotlight Entertainment 2008. Provided courtesy of Katie Lee. All rights reserved.