- 4 corn or flour tortillas, cut to size of bowl openings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 large sweet onions, sliced into thin rings
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, a few cranks of black pepper
- 2 cups lowsalt, lowfat chicken broth
- 2 cups lowfat beef broth
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 cup pilsner or lager beer or a French biere de garde (such as Jenlain)
- 2 avocados, diced
- 4 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3 green onions, white and green parts sliced
- Large bunch fresh cilantro, leaves chopped
- 1 to 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 1 cup shredded queso fresco, a nice Gruyere, or drunken goat cheese (I really like drunken goat!), to top and garnish
- Sliced lime, to garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cut tortilla rounds in oven and bake until crisp.
Heat olive oil in large heavy soup pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook until wilted and dark brown, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 20 seconds. Add oregano and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute 3 minutes. Add both broths, lime juice and bring to a simmer. Simmer a few minutes, then add beer. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 10 to 15 minutes. Meanwhile, drink the rest of the beer, you've earned it! Taste and adjust seasoning.
Preheat the broiler and move rack to second level below the broiler element.
Ladle soup into bowls. Add to each bowl some avocado, tomatoes, green onions, cilantro and jalapenos. Top bowls with baked tortilla rounds then cheese. Broil until cheese is melty and lusciously brown. Garnish with lime slices, a little leftover cilantro and serve with beer, if desired. Vive la revolucion!
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.