Lamb Loin with Spicy Date Glaze
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 small Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 12 pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Clover honey, as needed
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus whole leaves, for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds lamb loin
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until lightly golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the chicken broth, 3/4 cup water, the ketchup, vinegar, ginger, cayenne, dates, cloves, cinnamon stick and honey to taste and cook until the dates are very soft and the mixture has reduced slightly.
Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Add the chopped cilantro and salt and pepper to taste and pulse to incorporate. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. Remove 1/4 cup for garnish.
Heat a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high for direct grilling.
Brush the lamb with oil on both sides and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, brushing with the glaze and turning once or twice, until cooked to medium-rare, about 10 minutes total. Remove and let rest before slicing.
Cook Notes: When blending hot liquids, first let cool for 5 minutes or so, then transfer to a blender, filling only halfway. Put the lid on, leaving one corner open; this will prevent the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Cover the lid with a kitchen towel to catch splatters and pulse until smooth.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.