Macaroni Lasagna with Veggies and Dip
- Water, as needed
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons frozen chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups whole wheat macaroni
- 1/2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon supermarket-style garlic and herb seasoning mix
- 1 1/2 pounds precut mixed vegetables (about 6 cups celery, cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots)
- 1 (24 to 28-ounce) jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 2 cups grated low-fat cheddar
Preheat over to 375 degrees F.
Fill a large stove-top pot with water and bring to a boil. Brown meat in a large nonstick fry pan at medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink. Add onion flakes, Italian seasoning, and red pepper flakes while meat is browning. Place macaroni in boiling water. Cook for 5 minutes (you want the pasta very firm).
While the macaroni and meat are cooking, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream and garlic and herb seasoning mix in a small mixing bowl to make veggie dip. Let stand in refrigerator. Rinse veggies and arrange on serving plate. When timer rings for pasta, drain, and then rinse in colander.
Layer the following ingredients into a large cake or lasagna pan in this order: 1/2 of the fully cooked beef, 1/2 of the cooked macaroni, 1/2 pasta sauce and 1/2 cheese. Repeat again. Bake uncovered in preheated oven. Set timer for 20 minutes or until top layer of cheese is bubbly.
Recipe courtesy of Sandi Richard,