Chilled Avocado Soup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt, for seasoning, plus 1 teaspoon
- 4 firm ripe avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and mashed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Mexican sour cream or creme fraiche, whisked to soften*
- Crostini or croutons, for serving, optional
- *Mexican sour crema is called cream or crema acida and can be found in Latin markets
Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, chile and the garlic and cook until slightly soft, about 2 minutes.
Season with salt, to taste. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
Put the avocados in a large bowl. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice, cilantro, onion mixture, and water. Add, in batches, to a blender and puree until smooth, straining each batch of puree into a large bowl. Stir in the 1 teaspoon of salt and the 1 teaspoon of pepper, then cover and refrigerate until well chilled, about 3 hours.
Pour the chilled soup into individual bowls. Top each serving with a drizzle of the sour cream. Serve with crostini or croutons, if desired.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.