- 1 pound high-quality medium raw shrimp, peeled, deveined, tail removed, cut into thin pieces
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and finely chopped cucumber
- 1 cup seeded and finely chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 serrano chile pepper, deveined, seeded and minced
- Kosher salt, for seasoning
- To serve:
- Saltine crackers
- Bottled hot sauce
- Lime wedges, optional
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Place the shrimp in a large mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup lime juice and let stand for 15 minutes so the shrimp can "cook" in the lime juice (any less and it won't cook, any more and it toughens).
Meanwhile, in a separate large mixing bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup lime juice, cucumbers, tomatoes, cilantro, red onions and serrano chile to incorporate evenly. Transfer the mixed vegetables into the shrimp bowl and mix well to incorporate. Season the ceviche with some salt. Serve with saltine crackers, bottled hot sauce and lime wedges if desired.
Cook's Note: Use more serrano chile pepper if you desire a spicier ceviche.
Recipe courtesy of Marcela Valladolid