Bacala alla Vincentina
- 3 pounds bacala, soaked 48 hours in 4 changes of water
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 Spanish onions, chopped in 1/2-inch dice
- 4 salted anchovies, fillets removed and soaked in milk for 4 hours
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups milk plus more, if necessary
- 2 bunches Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/2 cup
Cut soaked bacala into 2-inch squares and check for any bones.
In a 12-inch frying pan, heat olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add onions, anchovies and cinnamon and cook until onions are very soft but have not browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Add bacala pieces, wine and milk and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer and cook 1 hour, adding more milk if mixture becomes dry. Add chopped parsley, check for seasoning and serve with soft polenta.