Barbecued Goat with Lemon Salad and Almond Pesto
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 20 min
- 35 min
- 45 min
- 4 servings
- 2 fresh hind legs of goat
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- LEMON SALAD
- 4 lemons peeled and sliced very thin
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches arugula, washed and spun dry
- ALMOND PESTO
- 1 cup blanched almonds
- 1/2 cup green olive pesto (see basic recipe)
- 1 tablespoons hot red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Light barbecue or grill.
Rinse and pat dry goat legs.
In a blender, mix garlic, mint leaves, pepper and olive oil until smooth paste is formed. Rub paste all over both legs and season with salt. Place on barbecue and cook, turning frequently, until pink at bone, about 45 minutes
Meanwhile, prepare lemon salad by mixing lemons, extra virgin olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper in a large mixing bowl. Allow to stand at room temperature until ready to serve with meat. In a blender, mix almonds, green olive pesto, hot pepper flakes, orange juice and olive oil until smooth and thick. Remove and set aside.
When goat is cooked, remove from grill to allow to rest for 10 minutes. Toss arugula with lemon salad and arrange on platter. Carve goat into 1/4-inch thick slices and arrange on platter. Drizzle with almond pesto and serve.
Recipe Courtesy of Mario Batali
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay