Braised Pork Strudel with Green Apple Sauce
- 4 tablespoons lard
- 2 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1/8th-inch cubes and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 carrots, cubed into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 red Hungarian peppers, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 7 ounces speck, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 recipe strudel (see basic recipe)
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 recipe green apple sauce (see recipe)
In a heavy-bottomed casserole, heat lard until smoking. Add pork pieces, 5 or 6 at a time, and cook until golden brown. remove and add carrots, onion, peppers, paprika, speck, cloves, cinnamon and cook until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add wine and bring to a boil. Add meat and return to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours until very tender. Season with salt and pepper and allow to chill 4 hours in the refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 375 F. Roll out strudel dough into a 10 by 14-inch rectangle. Place cold pork stew in center and roll up like a strudel. Save cut scrap pieces of dough to garnish strudel with a design or the name of a loved one. Brush with beaten egg yolks, place on a cookie sheet and bake 50 to 60 minutes, until golden brown and piping hot inside. Allow to rest 10 minutes and serve with green apple sauce.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.