Braised Pork Strudel with Green Apple Sauce
- 4 tablespoons lard
- 2 pounds pork shoulder, cut into 1/8th-inch cubes and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 carrots, cubed into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 Spanish onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 4 red Hungarian peppers, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 7 ounces speck, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 recipe strudel (see basic recipe)
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 recipe green apple sauce (see recipe)
In a heavy-bottomed casserole, heat lard until smoking. Add pork pieces, 5 or 6 at a time, and cook until golden brown. remove and add carrots, onion, peppers, paprika, speck, cloves, cinnamon and cook until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add wine and bring to a boil. Add meat and return to a boil. Lower heat and simmer 1 1/2 hours until very tender. Season with salt and pepper and allow to chill 4 hours in the refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 375 F. Roll out strudel dough into a 10 by 14-inch rectangle. Place cold pork stew in center and roll up like a strudel. Save cut scrap pieces of dough to garnish strudel with a design or the name of a loved one. Brush with beaten egg yolks, place on a cookie sheet and bake 50 to 60 minutes, until golden brown and piping hot inside. Allow to rest 10 minutes and serve with green apple sauce.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Caraway-Crusted Pork Chops, Smoked Oyster Dressing Stuffed Pork Chops with Andouille Hollandaise and Smothered Greens, Fruitcake-Stuffed Pork Medallions, Caramel Apple Recipes, Antipasti Recipes, Apple Cobbler Recipes, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Enchilada Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.