- 1/2 cup peeled and finely chopped onions
- 3 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/4 bunch fresh mint leaves, finely chopped to yield 1 tablespoon
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 heads chicory, approximately 2 pounds, cleaned, trimmed and broken into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices Italian peasant bread, toasted
- 4 eggs
In a medium-sized pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, pancetta, garlic, chiles and mint until lightly golden. Add the tomatoes and cook for five more minutes. Add the chicory and salt, stir, and cook for 3 more minutes. Add 1 quart water and simmer 30 minutes.
To serve, arrange a slice of toasted bread in each serving bowl, break an egg on top, then pour a few ladlefuls of very hot soup over to soak the bread and cook the egg.