Gussoni Fritti (Vegetable Fritters)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup shredded zucchini, shredded on the large holes of a cheese grater
- 1/2 cup potato, shredded on the large holes of a cheese grater
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 cups lard
- Grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and enough water to form a fairly loose, sticky batter. Set aside.
In a tall-sided pot, heat the remaining lard over high heat to 375 degrees F.
Dip the vegetable mixture, by the tablespoonful, into the batter, making sure to coat all surfaces of each fritter. Drop the fritters into the hot lard, a few at a time, and cook until deep golden brown. Remove from the lard, salt, and allow to drain on a plate lined with paper towels a moment before serving.
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All Rights Reserved.