- 4 Japanese eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup pitted black olives, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated caciocavallo or pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Preheat the broiler.
Using a small paring knife, make a series of crosshatches to the cut surface of each eggplant half, cutting into the flesh but not through the skin.
In a medium bowl, combine the olives, capers, mint, and basil and mash lightly with a fork to make a coarse paste. Stir in salt and pepper, to taste, and the grated cheese and mix well. Press the mixture into the cuts in each eggplant.