Trenette with Pesto, Beans, and Potatoes: Pesto Genovese
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, preferably "picolo fino"
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 5 ounces Ligurian extra-virgin olive oil
- For the pasta dish:
- 1 cup fresh pesto
- 6 new potatoes or small red potatoes, boiled and halved
- 1 cup young green beans or haricots verts, blanched and refreshed
- 1 pound package Trenette pasta
To make the pesto: In a large stone mortar, place the pine nuts, basil, garlic, and salt and grind with a pestle until it forms a paste. Drizzle in the olive oil, beating the mixture all the while with a wooden spoon. This can also be chopped in a food processor before adding the oil. The pesto can be stored in jars, topped with extra-virgin olive oil, for several weeks.
To make the pasta dish: Bring 6 quarts water to boil and add 2 tablespoons salt.
Cook the pasta according to package instructions until "al dente" and drain.
Add pasta to a cold pan along with the beans. Toss with pesto, red potatoes and let the hot pasta and beans warm the pesto and potatoes. Do not reheat. Add more extra-virgin olive oil, to taste.