- 2 pounds ground chuck
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup marinara
- 3/4 cup finely diced parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/3 cups bread crumbs
- Wheat bread, 24 slices
- 12 slices pepper jack cheese
- 2 (16-ounce) cans tomato puree
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 chipotle pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chipotle sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, eggs, marinara, parsley, salt, pepper and bread crumbs. Mix thoroughly and put on a baking dish. Shape the meat into a loaf and cover the baking dish. Bake in the preheated oven for 60 to 90 minutes. Uncover the last 15 minutes of bake time. Remove the meat from the oven and let it sit for 15 minutes before slicing. Slice and keep warm.
Puree the tomatoes until smooth in a blender. Cook onions in heavy pan, over medium heat until softened. Add the pureed tomatoes to the onions add all the remaining ingredients, except the lime juice. Simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, until thick, about 1 hour.
Remove from heat and let the mixture cool down a little before adding it to a blender. Add the lime juice and puree again.
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.