Melt Your Heart Tuna Melt
- Tuna Salad:
- One 12-ounce can tuna, drained
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise, plus more if you like a creamy tuna salad
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus more if desired
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion, white parts and some of the green parts
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 slices Cheddar
- 4 pickle spears, for serving
For the tuna: In a large bowl, break up the tuna with a fork and add the mayonnaise, lemon juice, red onions, green onions, basil, cilantro, parsley, mint and vinegar. Mix well to combine. Taste and season with salt, pepper and extra lemon juice and mayonnaise as desired.
For the sandwich: Brush the softened butter on 1 side of each slice of bread, setting aside some butter for cooking the sandwiches. Place the bread buttered-side down on a baking sheet. Divide the tuna among 4 slices of bread and top each with 2 slices of cheese. Complete the sandwich with the remaining 4 slices of bread, buttered-side up.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add half of the remaining butter. When the butter melts, place 2 sandwiches in the pan and cook until toasted and golden brown on each side. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches. (If your pan is large enough, you can cook all the sandwiches at the same time.) Serve warm, with pickles.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Carnie Wilson