Mexican Sliced Spiced Pork Soft Tacos with Texas Oven Fries
- 4 large russet potatoes, scrubbed and dried
- 4 to 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon gound coriander
- 2 pork tenderloins, trimmed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 12 tomatillos, peeled and chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/4 red cabbage, shredded
- 1 small red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 12 (6 inch) soft flour tortillas
Heat oven to 500 degrees F. Heat a grill pan to high.
Cut potatoes into Texas fries, 10 per potato. Coat in extra-virgin olive oil, about 2 to 3 tablespoons, then season with chipotle powder, salt and pepper and roast 25 minutes, turning once.
Toast pumpkin seeds in a small skillet 2 minutes then grind in food processor or spice mill or a coffee bean grinder. Mix the ground pumpkin seeds with cumin and coriander. Season the tenderloin with salt and pepper and rub with the spices. Rub the grill pan with extra-virgin olive oil and grill pork tenderloins 20 minutes.
Heat a skillet over medium-high heat with a tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, a turn of the pan. Add the chopped onion, garlic, jalapeno and cook a few minutes while you chop tomatillos. Add the tomatillos, season with salt and pepper and cook 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in lime zest and juice and cilantro and remove from heat.
While salsa is cooking, toss the cabbage with sliced onion.
Wrap the tortillas in damp clean towel and warm in microwave 2 minutes or put in the oven after you remove potatoes for 1 to 2 minutes.
Thinly slice pork and serve 1/2 tenderloin per person. Wrap pork slices in soft tacos with salsa and some shredded cabbage and red onions. Serve with Texas chipotle fries.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray, 2007