- 6 cans (14 ounces each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups celery, including some of the chopped leaves
- 1 cup red onion, minced
- 6 tablespoons minced fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced Calabrian chiles, or more to taste (can substitute with red chili flakes)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 loaves ciabatta or Italian bread
- Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
In a large bowl, stir the chickpeas, celery, onion, parsley, chiles, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar. Season, to taste, with salt. Serve immediately or let stand for 1 or 2 hours and re-season just before serving.
Slice the bread into 1/2-inch thick slices. Toast on a preheated grill or in an oven for 4 to 5 minutes. Brush 1side with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon some of the chickpea mixture over the bread slices and serve immediately.