Guinness and Onion Soup with Irish Cheddar Crouton
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves minced garlic
- 8 cups thinly sliced onions
- Gray salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups dark beer (recommended: Guinness)
- 6 cups beef stock
- 6 slices country bread cut 1/2-inch thick, toasted
- 1/2 pound Irish Cheddar, sliced thin
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add garlic and cook briefly to release aroma. Add onions, season with salt and cook for about 5 minutes stirring often. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the onions are golden brown.
Preheat the broiler. Transfer soup to an ovenproof serving dish or individual ovenproof soup bowls. Top with toasted bread slices and sliced Cheddar. Broil until cheese melts and starts to brown slightly. Serve piping hot.
Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello