Pan-Roasted Trout Bruschetta with Chili Vinaigrette
- 1 large loaf country-style bread
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing the bread
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the Trout:
- 1/4 cup salt
- 8 trout fillets, skin on
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup instant flour (recommended: Wondra)
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 16 oil-cured black olives, halved and pitted
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- For the Chili Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups chili oil
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/3 cup chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup finely chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Slice the bread into 1/4-inch thick slices. Cut those slices in half on a diagonal. Lay the slices on baking sheets in a single layer and brush the bread with extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake until crisp outside but still soft within, about 5 to 6 minutes.
On a baking sheet covered with foil, sprinkle salt over the foil. Lay the trout fillets skin side down and sprinkle the tops of the fillets liberally with more salt. Set aside in refrigerator for 10 minutes.
Rinse the trout fillets and pat dry. Sprinkle some pepper on the fillets. In a shallow dish filled with the flour, dredge the fillets with the flour, shaking off the excess.
Heat the 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil in a large skillet over moderately
high heat. When hot, add the fish, skinned side up, and cook until crisp, about 1 minute. Turn with an offset spatula and cook on the skinned side until done, about 1 minute. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
To serve, cut the trout into bite size pieces. Top each toast with a slice of roasted pepper and a piece of trout. Spoon some of the vinaigrette over the trout. Scatter a few olives around each portion, and dust the fish with the remaining parsley. Serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello