- For the spinach/sausage:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves chopped garlic
- 3 (10-ounce) bags spinach, washed, any large stems removed
- Gray salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pound Italian sausage links, cooked and sliced 1/8-inch thick
- For the ricotta mixture:
- 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- For the polenta:
- 15 cups water
- 2 tablespoon sea salt, preferable gray salt
- 3 cups fine grind polenta
- 2 cups grated Parmesan
- 4 teaspoons roasted garlic oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- To assemble:
- 4 cups prepared marinara sauce
- 1 cup jarred roasted, peeled and seeded yellow pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 cup jarred roasted, peeled and seeded red pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
Ricotta mixtureFor the spinach/sausage slices:
Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the garlic and saute until lightly browned. Add half the spinach into the skillet. As soon as it wilts, add the remaining spinach. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. Add the sausage slices to marry the flavors together. Remove from heat.For the ricotta mixture:
In a small bowl combine the ricotta, egg yolks, and nutmeg. Set aside.For the polenta:
In a large saucepan, bring the water and salt to a boil. Gradually whisk in the polenta and cook over low heat for about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring often, until the grains are soft. Stir in the Parmesan and olive oil.To assemble:
Set aside 4 tablespoons of the marinara sauce for the top of the lasagna. In large casserole dish, layer: 6 cups of polenta, 1/2 the spinach / sausage slices, 1/2 the peppers, 1/2 the marinara sauce, 1/2 the Parmesan, and 1/2 the mozzarella slices.
Repeat. Top with the remaining polenta (it may not cover the top completely). Distribute the ricotta mixture over the top in small dollops. Drizzle the reserved marinara sauce on top. At this point the finished lasagna can be wrapped and refrigerated for up to a day.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Place the pan on a cookie sheet (in case it bubbles over). Bake about 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until it is bubbling and hot throughout. Remove from the oven and allow it to rest for several minutes before serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.