- 4 pounds eggplant, halved
- Olive oil, for brushing, plus 2 ounces
- 2 shallots minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pita wedges, as an accompaniment
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Saute the garlic and shallots in 2 ounces olive oil over low heat until they are translucent and aromatic.
After the eggplant has cooled, remove the pulp from the skins, and place in a food processor and process until smooth.
Place mixture in a bowl and add remaining ingredients along with garlic and shallots. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve with pita wedges
Recipe courtesy of Michael Symon