- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup minced candied ginger (may substitute with 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger plus 1 tablespoon sugar)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/3 cups flour mix (1:1 cake and all purpose flours)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 sprayed rings, 8 sprayed and sugared ramekins or 1 baking dish
In a mixer, whisk together sugar, egg, oil, molasses and ginger. While mixer is running, add water. In a large bowl mix flours, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper. With a large rubber spatula gently fold-in the contents of the mixer with the dry ingredients. Fill rings, ramekins or dish. Bake in pre-heated oven at 300 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until test poker comes out clean.
- CARDAMOM CREAM
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Mint leaves for garnish
Add everything to an electric mixing bowl equipped with a whip. Whisk on medium-high stiff peaks form.
Place a small dollop of cardamom cream in the middle of a plate, this is to anchor the cake. Unmold the spice cake and place it on top of the cream. Put a dollop of cream on top of the cake and place a mint leaf in the cream.
Wine Suggestion: Bonny Doon Muscat Vin de Glaciere