Not Your Mama's Green Bean Casserole
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped (about 3 tablespoons)
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sherry
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
- Frizzled leeks, recipe follows
- Frizzled Leeks:
- Vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 1 leek
- Superfine flour, for dredging (recommended: Wondra Flour)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and saute until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, thyme and sage and saute until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook 5 more minutes. Next add the sherry and stir until thickened. Add the cream and simmer an additional 5 minutes. Set sauce aside. (Recipe can be made to this point up to 2 days before, refrigerated.)
Melt the remaining butter in a large skillet over high heat. Add the beans, toss to coat with the butter and saute until bright green, about 7 minutes. They'll still be crispy. Season with salt and pepper and place on a platter.
Bring the sauce to a simmer and spoon over the beans. Top with the frizzled leeks.Frizzled Leeks:
Heat a couple inches of oil to 350 degrees F in a large, heavy pot. To check the oil temperature, drop a bread cube into it. If the cube browns within 30 seconds the oil is hot enough.
Trim leek, slice in half lengthwise, and wash well under running water. Cut the root end off the leek and then cut each half lengthwise into long, thin strips.