Gina's Corn Souffle
- 5 tablespoons butter, plus more for baking dish
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups fresh whole corn kernels (thawed, if frozen)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup grated extra-sharp white Cheddar
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Coat the bottom and sides of a round 2 quart souffle dish with butter.
Melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in the corn, salt and pepper, to taste, the smoked paprika and cayenne. Saute for 1 more minute. Add the flour and stir until it becomes light blonde in color, about 2 more minutes. Add the half-and-half and whisk until the mixture becomes smooth and thickened. Remove from the heat.
Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Temper the eggs into the corn mixture, then stir in the cheese. Pour the mixture into the buttered souffle dish. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.
Recipe courtesy of The Neelys