Molten Lava Cakes
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, plus more for the ramekins
- 4 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, plus more for dusting (optional)
- 6 large eggs plus 6 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter eight 6-ounce ramekins and sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar.
Combine the butter, cinnamon, cayenne, nutmeg and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently until melted and smooth. Cool slightly. Whisk the flour, confectioners' sugar, eggs and yolks, vanilla extract and almond extract in a bowl until creamy. Whisk in the melted chocolate mixture. Divide among the prepared ramekins.
Bake the cakes until the tops are stiff and the edges darken, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes. Loosen the edges of the cakes with a small paring knife and transfer to plates while warm. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Photograph by Gentl & Hyers
Thank you! your flag was submitted.