Neelys Maple Glazed Donuts
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons melted salted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Cinnamon sugar
- Maple Syrup Glaze, recipe follows
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/2 cup milk
Preheat oil in a large Dutch oven to 375 degrees F.
Whisk dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Whisk eggs, yolk, buttermilk, pumpkin puree, melted butter and almond extract together in another large bowl until smooth. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and thoroughly mix together using a wooden spoon. The dough will be very sticky.
Dust your countertop and hands with flour. Using your hands pat out dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Dip a 3-inch round cutter in flour and cut out donuts. Cut out center of donuts with 3/4-inch cutter. Gather scraps and re-roll. Continue cutting out donuts.
Fry donuts, in hot oil, until golden brown and crisp, approximately 1 minute per side. Drain on wire rack over sheet tray to cool.
Once cool, dust with cinnamon sugar, if desired, or dip tops of the donuts into the Maple Syrup Glaze. Also, a butter knife can be used to spread on the glaze.
Maple Syrup Glaze:
In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, maple extract and milk; stir well. Add additional milk, if needed, to reach desired consistency. Drizzle over donuts.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.