Sweet-and-Sour Shrimp Kebabs
- For the kebabs:
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (unseasoned)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Zest of 1 lime, plus 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 pounds large shrimp (16 to 20 per pound), peeled and deveined
- Olive oil, for the grill
- For the sauce:
- 1 teaspoon sweet chili sauce
- 1 cup peach preserves
- 1/4 cup hot Chinese mustard
Whisk together the canola oil, lime juice, brown sugar, vinegar, red pepper flakes, lime zest, garlic, ginger, basil and salt in a bowl. Put the shrimp in a large zip-top plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Refrigerate 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the sauce: Whisk the sweet chili sauce, peach preserves and mustard in a bowl.
Preheat a grill to medium high. Oil the grill rack. Thread the shrimp and lime wedges onto skewers. Grill 1 1/2 minutes on each side. Serve with the sauce.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.