Adirondack Bacon BBQ Chicken, Apples and Onions
If you don't have cooked chicken on hand, try Rachael's Poached Chickens recipe.
- EVOO, for drizzling
- 4 ounces deli-cut good-quality smoky bacon, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup organic ketchup
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup Grade A maple syrup
- 1/4 cup grainy Dijon mustard
- About 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- About 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Coarse black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 crisp apples, such as gala or honey crisp or golden delicious, sliced
- 1 large red onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- About 3 cups poached chicken, pulled
- Hard rolls, split
- Grated white sharp Cheddar, for topping
- Sliced dill or bread and butter pickles, for topping
Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and brown to crisp. Then add the garlic and onions and stir to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the ketchup, stock, syrup, mustard, Worcestershire, vinegar and pepper. Stir and simmer to thicken, 20 minutes.
Heat a drizzle of EVOO in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the butter and melt. Add the apples and red onions. Season with some salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook to tender-crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the chicken and sauce and combine. Cool and store for a make-ahead meal. Reheat over medium heat and serve the BBQ chicken, apples and onions on the rolls topped with cheese and pickles.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Canadian Bacon, Sweet Onion, and Apple Pizza, Crispy Bacon-Wrapped Chicken with Three Cheese Creamy Risotto and Arugula Fennel Salad, Ranch Hands' BBQ Chicken, Baked Ham Recipes, Latin American, Fried Chicken Recipes, Jerk Chicken Recipes, Mexican Chicken Recipes, Beef Tenderloin Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.