Beef and Pork Italian Chili
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 1/2 pounds coarsely ground beef sirloin
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons chili powder, such as Gebhardt's, or 1 tablespoon ground red chili pepper
- Salt and coarse pepper or peppercorn blend
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced rosemary
- 1 large bay leaf
- Pinch ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef stock
- One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup passata or tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup quick-cooking polenta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup (a couple handfuls) grated pecorino cheese
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add EVOO, the beef and pork; brown and crumble. Season with the chili powder, salt and pepper. Add the carrot, celery, onion, garlic, rosemary, bay leaf and cloves and cook for 8 to 10 minutes to soften the vegetables. Add the tomato paste and stir a minute. Add the beef stock, diced tomatoes and passata or tomato sauce. Simmer to combine the flavors and thicken. Cool and store; reheat over medium heat.
To serve, bring the chicken stock to a boil in a small saucepot, whisk in the polenta, 3 minutes. Stir in the butter, cheese, salt and pepper.
Serve the chili with polenta alongside.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.