TIMING Tidbit: Slice and place meat in freezer 15 minutes. Sauce and meat are prepared 10 minutes before you are ready to serve.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef tenderloin fillet
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef consomme, available on soup aisle
- 2 teaspoons prepared Dijon style mustard
- 1/4 cup sour cream, eyeball it
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil, 1 turn of the pan in a slow stream
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped cornichons
- 1 pound extra wide egg noodles, cooked to package directions
- Chopped parsley leaves, garnish
- Thickly sliced pumpernickel bread, optional
Slice meat into 1/2-thick by 2 -nch long very thin strips and season with salt and pepper. Set in freezer.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter and cook with flour 1 minute. Whisk in consomme. Thicken 1 minute. Stir in mustard and sour cream, thicken 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and season sauce with salt and pepper.
Heat a second skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter, then add the meat and onion and cook over high heat until brown on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total. Then add the chopped cornichons and stir to combine.
Arrange meat on a bed of egg noodles and top with Stroganoff sauce and parsley. Serve with thickly sliced pumpernickel bread.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.