Chicago Dog Salad
Eat well, eat more! I cut out the bun so I can have more dogs and veggies with less guilt. Chicago-style dogs are my favorites, with pickles[, tomatoes, onions, mustard, and slaw on top; this salad reverses the order and piles the veggies up high underneath the dogs.]
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, eyeball it
- 1 rounded teaspoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 of a 16-ounce sack shredded cabbage blend for slaw salads
- 1 romaine heart, shredded
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes, diced
- 3 large half sour or garlic pickles, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 8 pork or beef hot dogs, cut into 1-inch-thick slices on an angle
In the bottom of a large bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, sugar, and about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the onions, cabbage, romaine, tomatoes, and pickles and toss the salad. Season with salt and pepper, adjust seasonings, and reserve.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add in remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil (1 turn of the pan) then arrange the sliced dogs in a single layer. Sear them a couple of minutes on each side. Remove to paper towels to drain.
Mound up the salad on plates, top with seared dogs, and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.