- 2 ripe Haas avocados
- 1 lime, juiced
- A couple pinches salt
- 1/4 cup sour cream, 3 rounded tablespoonfuls
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, available in cans on specialty food aisle in Mexican section
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage, sliced thin on an angle
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling
- 1 clove garlic, cracked away from skin and crushed
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed, ask for easy-peels at fish counter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (12- inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 pound, 2 cups, shredded pepper Jack cheese
Cut avocados all the way around with a sharp knife. Scoop out the pit, then spoon avocado flesh away from skin into a food processor. Add the juice of 1 lime, a couple of pinches salt, sour cream and chipotles in adobo. Pulse guacamole until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Brown chorizo 2 to 3 minutes, then remove from pan. Add oil, garlic, then shrimp. Season shrimp with salt and pepper and cook shrimp until pink, 2 or 3 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a cutting board and coarsely chop.
Add a drizzle of oil to the pan and a large tortilla. Cook tortilla 30 seconds, then turn. Cover 1/2 of the tortilla with a couple of handfuls of cheese. Arrange a layer of chorizo and shrimp over the cheese and fold tortilla over. Press down gently with a spatula and cook tortilla a minute or so on each side to melt cheese and crisp. Remove quesadilla to large cutting board and repeat with remaining ingredients. Cut each quesadilla into 5 wedges and transfer to plates with your spatula. Top wedges of quesadillas with liberal amounts of smoky guacamole