Fondue Dippers: Bacon Wrapped Chicken with Spinach, Blanched Vegetables and Apples
- 1 (10-ounce) box frozen chopped spinach
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 6 slices good quality smoky bacon, halved across (recommended: Oscars from Warrensburg)
- 12 chicken tenders
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 bunch radishes, trimmed
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and sliced 1/2-inch thick sticks
- 1 bundle white or thin green asparagus, trimmed
- 1 sack purple pearl onions or 1 jar pickled pearl onions, drained
- 1 jar mini gherkins, drained
- 1 bag pretzel rods
- Whole-grain or seeded bread, diced for dipping
- Fondue with Apple Brandy, recipe follows
- Fondue with Apple Brandy:
- 1 3/4 cups dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 pound Gruyere, shredded
- 3/4 pound Emmentaler, shredded
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup apple brandy
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Defrost spinach in microwave.
Drizzle a little oil on large plate and have a rack sitting on baking a sheet or slotted broiler pan nearby. Halve the bacon across and reserve on a meat-safe prep board. Halve the chicken tenders and slide into the dish with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and paprika. Wring out the spinach in a clean dish towel and put the spinach in a small dish. Top each piece of chicken with a little spinach and wrap with bacon. Arrange, seem side down, on the baking pan. Bake until golden and firm, 18 to 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a few inches of salted water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Have a large bowl of ice water, for shocking the vegetables, ready as well. Add the radishes to the boiling water and blanch for 1 minute, then remove them and shock in ice water. Repeat with the pepper removing them with tongs or small strainer or spider. Add the asparagus and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 to 3 minutes, then shock and reserve.
If using fresh onions, add last and cook for 3 minutes to loosen skins. Shock them and use a towel to wipe away the skins.
Arrange the meat, vegetables and pretzels around a fondue pot and serve with cubed bread in a basket.Fondue with Apple Brandy:
Put the wine in a fondue pot and bring to a bubble over medium heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Add the lemon juice, then add the cheeses in handfuls, stirring in a figure-8 motion with wooden spoon. When the cheese is fully melted, stir the cornstarch into the brandy, in a small bowl until smooth, then add to cheese. Season with nutmeg and cayenne and serve over a warming station for your fondue pot.
Yield: 6 servings
More Recipes and Ideas:
Avocado-Bacon Relish and Cheddar Fondue, Spinach Wrapped Chicken with Lemon Risotto and Feta Cheese Salsa Verde, Bacon Wrapped Butterfish Served Peasant Style, White Chicken Chili Recipes, Mexican Chicken Recipes, Chicken Noodle Soup Recipes, Thai Chicken Recipes, Chicken Breast Recipes, Chicken Chili Recipes