Fried Green Beans and Wasabi Ranch
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 to 2 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds green beans
- Frying oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 2 large eggs, beaten
Bring a few inches of water to a boil, salt it and cook the green beans, 2 minutes. Remove, cold shock in an ice bath, drain and dry on a kitchen towel.
Meanwhile, heat a few inches of oil over medium to medium-high heat. Combine 1 cup water, the flour, baking powder, onion, garlic and eggs in a bowl to form a batter. Dip the beans in the batter, a dozen at a time, and fry them up in batches. Cool on a cooling rack. Sprinkle with salt while hot.
Serve the fried beans with the wasabi dipper.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray