Greek Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Salad with Warm Pita Bread for Wrapping
- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders, 2 packages from meat case
- Salt and pepper
- 8 pita breads
- 1 ripe lemon, zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoon red wine vinegar, eyeball it
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped oregano, 4 stems, stripped of leaves and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 hearts Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/3 seedless or English cucumber, diced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, a couple of handfuls, chopped
Preheat grill pan over high heat. Place chicken in shallow dish and season with salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. Wrap pita breads in foil. Place in warm oven and heat until dinner is served.
Combine lemon zest, juice and vinegar in a bowl and whisk in oil. Add oregano, garlic and whisk again to combine into dressing. Pour half the dressing over chicken tenders. Turn tenders in dressing to coat.
Combine remaining salad ingredients in a bowl. Pour remaining dressing over salad and toss well. The salad should be very lightly dressed. Season salad with salt and pepper and transfer to a large serving platter.
Grill tenders 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer hot tenders to the salad lined serving platter. Remove pitas from oven and unwrap. Cut pitas in half and arrange around the edge of platter.
To serve, each person can pile grilled chicken and veggies into pita halves, wrap up on either side and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse