Guzaria is Greek tapas: many little dishes that can be snacked on for a fulfilling meal. Old Athens would gather at small bars at the end of a hard day to find community members, discuss the day, and share food and drink at a leisurely pace over the course of the evening. Ouzo and cold beer are the suggested beverages with your Guzaria menu. Guzaria Menu: Greek Salad, Grilled Pita Bread, Greek Meatballs in Wine Sauce, Baked Gigantes Beans and Grilled Shrimp.
- 3 vine ripe tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 European seedless cucumber, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chunked
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and chunked
- 1 cubanelle pepper, seeded and chunked
- 1 cup Kalamata black olives
- Several sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, about 1/2 cup
- 2 (1/4 pound) slices imported Greek feta
- 1/4 cup (a couple of glugs) extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons (3 splashes) red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed in palm of your hand
- Coarse salt and black pepper
- Pita breads
Combine vegetables, olives, and parsley in a large bowl. Rest sliced feta on the top of salad. Combine oil, vinegar, and oregano in a small plastic container with a lid. Shake vigorously to combine oil and vinegar and pour over salad and cheese. Season with salt and pepper and let the salad marinate until ready to serve. Serve salad with pita bread blistered and warmed on a hot griddle or grill pan.