- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground chipotle, chili powder or cumin
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot)
- 4 large or extra large eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) jar tomatillo salsa (salsa verde or green salsa), any brand
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, available in 10 ounce sacks on dairy aisles
- 4 small (6 to 8-inch) flour tortillas
- Garnishes choose from whatever you have on hand: chopped cilantro or parsley and finely chopped scallions, chives or red onions, sour cream or yogurt
Heat a skillet. Add extra-virgin olive oil and the onion. Cook until slightly softened. Add the black beans, chipotle and hot sauce. Cook until well heated through. Turn heat down to low and keep warm.
Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium low heat. When hot, drizzle pan with extra-virgin olive oil and add eggs. Cook eggs gently, 2 at a time, with 2 couple inches between each egg, to desired doneness, over easy to over hard. Season the eggs with salt and pepper on 1 or both sides.
Take the lid off of the salsa. Place container in the microwave and warm through, 45 seconds on high.
Spoon salsa over the eggs once you turn them. Place a large handful of shredded Cheddar on top of each salsa covered egg. Cover the pan loosely with a tin foil tent to melt cheese.
If you have a gas top stove, heat and blister the tortillas individually, holding them with tongs, over the open flame of a burner, 15 to 20 seconds on each side. Otherwise, warm tortillas according to package directions for the microwave oven.
To assemble, place a tortilla on a plate. Top with a generous serving-spoonful of warm black beans, top the beans with a fried egg, salsa and cheese. Finish off this killer, 24-hour belly-pleaser with a sprinkle of cilantro or parsley and chopped scallions, chives or red onion, sour cream or yogurt