Italian Style Tomato Bread
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red chile, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 round loaf crusty bread with or without sesame seeds
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 2 tablespoonfuls capote capers or sliced caper berries
- A scant handful pitted black olives, coarsely chopped
- 8 thin anchovy fillets, drained, optional
Heat about 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the chile and garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and cool a couple of minutes.
Halve the bread across horizontally and toast or char.
Halve the tomato across horizontally and rub the flesh vigorously into the toasted surface of the bread and season with salt, to taste. If you are garnishing with anchovies skip the salt. Dress the tomato bread with chile oil and garnish with capers, olives and anchovies, if using. Cut into serving portions and serve.