Mexican Caramel Sundaes
- 8 ounces store bought caramel sauce for ice cream
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (1/2 teaspoon for sauce, 1/2 teaspoon for tortillas)
- 4 (8--inch) flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 pints Dulce de Leche caramel ice cream or caramel swirl ice cream
- 1 canister real whipped cream, from dairy aisle
- 4 ounces, 1/2 cup, Spanish peanuts
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a small saucepan, warm caramel sauce over low heat and season with cayenne pepper and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Place tortillas on a cookie sheet and brush liberally with melted butter. Sprinkle each tortilla with sugar and a pinch of cinnamon and bake until crispy and sugar has melted on the tortillas, 5 minutes. Remove tortillas from oven, let cool to harden and break into large, uneven pieces. Arrange the pieces of 1 tortilla in a sundae dish or on a dessert plate. Top with 2 large scoops ice cream. Drizzle the warm caramel sauce over each sundae using a spatula or wooden spoon. Top each sundae with whipped cream swirls and Spanish peanuts.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray