Mexican Stuffed Tomatoes
- 5 yellow vine-ripe tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- 2 jarred pimentos, drained and chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 small zucchini, 1/4-inch dice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed in palm of your hand
- 2 tablespoons, a handful, fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley leaves, your choice, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the bowl
Cut the tops off 4 tomatoes and trim a thin slice off the bottoms so that they will sit upright easily. Hollow out the tomatoes with a spoon over garbage bowl or sink. Season tomatoes with salt and pepper. Remove stem of remaining tomato. Seed and chop tomato.
In a bowl, combine chopped tomato, pimentos, onions, zucchini, jalapeno, lemon juice, oregano and cilantro or parsley. Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over the bowl. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the bowl in a slow stream or about 2 tablespoons. Toss mixture to combine and season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Fill the empty tomatoes with stuffing and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.